Last updated: 13th May 2014
The program of events will be updated regularly. All times and events are subject to change. Please ensure you attend the race briefing on Friday evening for final instructions.
The race is planned for Saturday 29th November however has a two day window to allow for the best racing conditions. The program below is based on the race been held on Saturday.
FRIDAY 28TH NOVEMBER 2014
Breakfast will be available from Sorrento SLSC from 7am onwards.
Loading of Barge for your craft to go to Rottnest Island
Oceanpaddler will be organising a barge to transport your craft over to Rottnest Island for the race.
This will take place on Friday afternoon. The exact time and location will be confirmed closer to the event.
You must have booked and paid for craft transport during the online entry process. An additional $20 late fee will be charged for anyone who does not pre-book and just turns up on the day to load their craft (pending spots available).
For those that have hired skis from Oceanpaddler, we will advise how your ski will be loaded on the barge when you pick up your hire ski. Please ensure you have booked craft transport as this is not included in your hire fee.
It is a big job getting all the craft on the barge so please be patient when we do this.
- For skis and OC1s all rudders must be removed prior to loading
- For SUP’s all fins must be removed
- Bring straps to tie your craft on
- Bring some light padding to the barge such as old bits of foam etc
NOTE: If you take your craft in a cover you must arrange for the cover to be taken back to the mainland yourself. We will not be taking anything back to the mainland for you.
Registration & Briefing at Sorrento Beach SLSC
12pm onwards with a final race briefing at approx 6.30pm.
- All competitors are required to attend the registration and briefing.
- Registration will open from 12pm to 6.30pm.
- We recommend registering before taking your craft down to the barge at Fremantle.
- A final race briefing will take place at 6.30pm. All competitors must attend for final instructions.
- If you have entered on line you must still register on Friday and collect your timing chip and rego bag.
- If you collect your timing chip and then decide not to do the event on race day you must call the event director Dean Gardiner on 0427 171 403. This is an important safety requirement. Once you collect your timing chip we will assume you have started the race.
- You can enter the ‘Doctor’ on Friday however a $20 late fee will be charged. We encourage everyone to enter online before midnight Thursday.
- If you require a Flare you can order one when entering online and collect at the registration (mandatory equipment).
- Sorrento Beach SLSC will have food and drink available to purchase.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: NO ALCOHOL is allowed outside of the club hall and BBQ area as this will be breaching the clubs licence policy. This includes no alcohol on the outside grass area. Thank you for your cooperation.
SATURDAY 29TH NOVEMBER 2014 (RACE DAY)
Please note that the race may be held on Sunday, as the event has a two day window.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you register on Friday night and decide not to do the race you must call the event director Dean Gardiner on 0427 171 403 to advise you have withdrawn.
Breakfast available at Sorrento Beach SLSC from 7am.
Ferry to Rottnest Island
Competitors travel to Rottnest Island by ferry. This takes approx 40mins.
Rottnest Fast Ferries are our preferred Ferry carrier. You must book directly with Rottnest Fast Ferries. Click here for more info.
We want all competitors to be on Rottnest Island as early as possible as the event may start anytime from 10am onwards depending on shipping movements and conditions.
Make sure you take the following to Rottnest Island:
- PFD (Lifejacket)
- Timing chip
- Rudder for your ski and tools to attached your rudder
- Fluids for the race (you can purchase drinks at Rottnest if needed but it is strongly recommended to take water with you for both pre and during the race)
- Sponsor and race number stickers for your craft that will be provided at registration
Take minimal gear as what you take to Rottnest you will need to paddle back with! Do not take anything other than what you are paddling in or what can be thrown away on Rottnest as we are unable to bring any gear back to the mainland. Please ensure you use rubbish bins at Rottnest.
On Rottnest Island
When you arrive on Rottnest you must get your craft off the barge. The barge will be at the main jetty where the ferry arrives. You are responsible of looking after your own craft.
You can install your rudders at the Main Jetty and paddle over (south) to Army Jetty where the start will be.
You must place the race number stickers and sponsor stickers on your craft once you get to Rottnest. These will be provided on Friday night at registration.
This will take place prior to the start at Army Jetty. See map below.
Army Jetty, Thompson Bay, Rottnest Island. See map below
The race will start immediately in front of the Army Jetty. The course will pass to the South of both Phillip Rock and Fairway Buoy. After rounding the fairway buoy it will be a direct line to Sorrento Beach. The details of the finish will be explained at the briefing. Click here for course map.
The start time is dependent on shipping movements and conditions and can take place anytime from 10am onwards. Therefore please ensure you get to Rottnest Island as early as possible.
We plan to have 3 start waves.
- Wave 1: SUPs
- Wave 2: OC1s ,plastics and ladies
- Wave 3: All other categories
Sorrento Beach, outside Surf Life Saving Club
Approx 6.00/6.30pm at Sorrento Beach SLSC.
Sorrento SLSC will have food and drinks available to purchase. Please support the club that supports our event and join us for dinner and drinks.
Oceanpaddler contacts during the event:
Dean Gardiner: 0427 171 403
Sherene LaGasse: 0427 174 472
MAP OF ROTTNEST ISLAND