Kayak Trader aims to introduce and expand the sport of flat water kayaking to people all around the country. We hope that by providing a platform based on the common interest of paddling, we will be able to reach countless paddlers looking to explore the waters of the United States through canoeing and kayaking. We offer three race distances this year, 5,10 and 27.5K ( 17 miles )
Raffling off a new EPIC V5
Proceeds go to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network!
- The Kayak Trader Challenge is part of the Southeast Paddle Sport Championship Series
- There will be prizes awarded to each category 3 places deep.
- Cash awards for first three finishers of the 27.5K race
- Racer Check-in starts at 8:00 am at the Tower Side of the Venue
- There is no day of registration, online registration closes at midnight October 7th, 2016
- Races will begin at 9:30 AM for 27.5k(17 miles) and at 10:30 AM for 5k and 10k
- Oktoberfest Celebration begins at 2 PM ( Food, Beverages and Music)
- Awards during Octoberfest Celebration
Race categories are based primarily on the sound rowers system of length and width ratio which is a very equitable method of grouping paddlers by boat type. You can learn more here and even look up your own make and model to find your category.
High Performance Kayaks/Open class – This is almost all 18+ ft long kayaks (depending on width) plus some shorter boats like ICF K1′s and wildwater kayaks.
Fast Sea Kayak class – Too long or too narrow (or both) to fit into sea kayak class. Too short or too wide for HPK.
Sea Kayak class – Starting at 14.1 feet in length up to approx. 16-17.5 ft in length depending on width.
Rec class - This is anything at 14 ft or less in length, period. No width data is needed.
Masters age group – Anyone 50 or over
SUP – Paddleboarders are classified by open or masters, no board lengths for series points. (Individual events may classify by board length at their discretion.)
Tandem – Any tandem canoe, kayak, or outrigger.
U19 - We have added an under 19 age bracket for Kayak, Canoe, K2 and C2 for male and female. This category is not part of the Southeast Paddle Sport Championship Series.