Kayak Trader host races to expand the family of paddlers and to generally have a good time! We hope that by providing a platform based on the common interest of paddling, we will be able to reach countless paddlers looking to explore the waters of the United States through canoeing and kayaking.
Apalachicola is the Oyster Capitol of the World and this year we are serving up the World's Best Oysters and Shrimp at our After Party at The Bowery Station located at 131 Commerce St in Apalachicola. http://www.bowerystation.us/
Hotel info: http://www.paddle2love.com/lodging.html
- There will be prizes awarded to each category 3 places deep.
- Pre Registration Friday - May 5th - 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM At Bowery Station on Commerce St
- Online registration closes at midnight on Friday, onsite registration only after that.
- Registration Saturday -May 5th - starts at 7:30 AM ends 9:00 AM at Battlery Park
- 15 Mile race will begin at 10:00 AM others soon afterward
- Awards will be presented at Bowery Station around 3 PM.
- After Party at Bowery Station Live Music, Oysters, Shrimp and your first beer is on us!
THERE ARE THREE DISTANCES TO CHOOSE FROM, 3 miles, 6 miles and 15 miles. The 15 mile race will be a down river from Bloody Bluff launch site located in Tate's Hell State Forest. Don't let the name scare you!!! We will limit the entries to 40 boats for the 15 mile race. Shuttles will be arranged if you don't have someone to take you to the launch site.
THE 15 MILE RACE COURSE COULD CHANGE DUE TO CONDITIONS! BACKUP OPTION WOULD BE TWO LOOPS ON 6 MILE COURSE FOR 12 MILES. CONDITIONS WILL BE EVALUATED THE MORNING OF THE RACE.
Race categories are based primarily on the sound rowers system of length and width ratio which is a very equitable method of grouping paddlers by boat type. You can learn more here and even look up your own make and model to find your category.
High Performance Kayaks/Open class – This is almost all 18+ ft long kayaks (depending on width) plus some shorter boats like ICF K1′s and wildwater kayaks.
Fast Sea Kayak class – Too long or too narrow (or both) to fit into sea kayak class. Too short or too wide for HPK.
Sea Kayak class - Starting at 14.1 ft in length up to approx. 16-17.5 ft in length depending on width.
Rec class - This is anything at 14 ft or less in length, period. No width data is needed.
Masters age group – Anyone 50 or over
Tandem – Any tandem canoe, kayak, or outrigger.
SUP - Open to all boards ( see all categories when registering )