Date: Saturday, February 10th, 2018 Temps: Low 56 degrees - High 78 degrees
Tides: Incoming til 11:40 am - High 11:48 am - Low 3:15 pm
Teams of 4 SUP Paddlers have 2.5 hours to navigate through the mangrove mazes of Ten
Thousand Islands to retrieve treasure from 15 hidden treasure chests. The team to collect all 15
gold doubloons and cross the finish line in the shortest amount of time wins.
Red Bull Privateers Rules and Format
- Participants will start on Cape Romano, Ten Thousand Islands, FL.
- At the sound of the cannon teams take off into the course in any direction they choose.
- Teams will have two and a half hours to collect one doubloon from each of the 15 treasure chests.
- The team that collects all the doubloons and crosses the finish line in the fastest time, wins!
- All team members must be present at the beach with their medallions before they may cross the finish line.
- All teams will consist of 4 team members. Participants will be assigned to a team if they enter as an individual
- Participants may have more than one person per board if they choose, but may not go over the 4 person per team restriction.
- Teams can stay together of split up, depending on strategy.
- Each participant shall receive a map 15 minutes prior to the start of the event of the general location of each of the treasure chests
- 15 chests total shall be anchored throughout the course, each containing 50 – 100 gold doubloons
- Chests may run out of coins, but this plays into team strategy
- Teams must stay on their board in mangrove areas and may only get off board in designated beach areas or to retrieve a coin.
- Foot protection is recommended
- PFD, Leash are required by all participants required
- SUP and Prone will be allowed to participate. No canoes, kayaks, or boards with additional propulsion of any kind.
- Entry fee is $25 per person/$100 per team
- A portion of entry fees shall be donated to the Rookery Bay Estuarine Research Reserve
Event Location Information
- The event will be taking place on Cape Romano, just South of Marco island.
- The Recommended launch point is Caxambus Park and Boat ramp on the South side of Marco Island.
- Once in the water, it is a short paddle across the main channel and to the Northern tip of the island.
- ALL EVENT PARTICIPANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING THEMSELVES OUT TO THE CHECK IN TENT ON CAPE ROMANO FOR AN 11 AM RACE START TIME. THE STARTING LINE IS APPROX A 2 MILE PADDLE FROM THE LAUNCH POINT AT CAXAMBUS PARK, SO PLEASE GIVE YOURSELF ENOUGH TIME TO GET OUT TO THE ISLAND AND GET READY BEFORE THE RACE START.
- There will be a boat shuttle running from Caxambus Park on Friday and Saturday to the main location on Cape Romano on a 30 min schedule. If you need a ride out to the island you may hop on board. PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS LIMITED ROOM FOR PEOPLE AND SUPPLIES SO DO NOT COUNT ON THIS AS YOUR PRIMARY TRANSPORTATION OUT TO THE ISLAND. THIS IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. (See race schedule tab for more info)
- Team check In, the captains meeting, main event and all pre and post event activities shall take place on Cape Romano. ALL PARTICIPANTS must check in and will not be allowed to participate without receiving their team shirt and wrist band at check in.
- Caxambus Park (where you will launch from) is a public park with free parking (You must pay to use the boat ramp and park a trailer). There are many vehicle spaces at the park as well as a large overflow lot in the grass. The lot closes at 6pm and there is no overnight parking. Parking here will be at your own risk and Red Bull will not be responsible for any lost/stolen/damaged property or tickets. Please park responsibly and do not impair the locals using the ramp.
- We have also secured a free private parking lot at the Hilton Hotel about .75 miles away from Caxambus park. This is a secure lot with gate guard on duty. There will be a shuttle running all day Saturday to and from the Hilton and Caxambus park for people that choose to park here. If you choose to park here, drop off all of your boards and gear at Caxambus park first and then go park your car to save room in the shuttle. You may also paddle directly from the public beach access next to the Hilton Hotel to Cape Romano if you choose. This is the only location for overnight parking if you intent to arrive/camp on Friday. Please not that the Hilton Hotel is closed for renovations, so please DO NOT walk through the hotel.
Participants who want to stay on island Friday night will get to be a part of the event atmosphere with music, bonfires, manufacturer equipment and board demos, and games provided at partner campsites.
- If you plan on camping Friday night you must park at the Hilton Hotel as Caxambus Park does not allow overnight parking
- You can either paddle from the public beach access next to the Hilton directly to the island, or drop your stuff off at Caxambus Park first.
- If you plan on camping, you are responsible for getting you and your gear out to the island yourself, however there will be a boat shuttle running on Friday on a limited basis if you need to catch a ride. This is first come first serve and if space is available.
- If you plan on camping please follow all the rules of the Rookery Bay National Estuary, do not damage the environment and please clean up after yourself.
- This is very primitive camping, so you MUST be prepared to bring all the supplies you and your team will need to survive. Come prepared with all the food, water, bug spray, shelter, safety and race gear you will need for the night.
- Additional supplies and concessions can be purchased at the Caxambus Park ship store if needed.
- Food Boats will be onsite all day Saturday to provide food and drink options for participants so be sure to bring some cash if you want to buy breakfast or lunch. Dinner will be provided for all participants with a complimentary Pig Roast Luau on the sand after the race!!!
Mainland Launching Points: