Take a bite out of all this event has to offer! From paddle races, to clinics, to fun parties – the Shark Bite will be sure to show you a great time!
This year, we celebrate 12 wonderful years of the Shark Bite Challenge. Please join us for some of the new events we've added! Check out the other pages on this site to see what all the fuss is about. The Shark Bite Challenge is a WPA Region 5 Sanctioned Points Event.
The Shark Bite Challenge is a fundraiser for the Friends of the Island Parks, a citizen support organization (and non-profit), that supports the efforts of Caladesi and Honeymoon Island State Parks. 100% of the profits of the Shark Bite Challenge & Paddlefest go right back into keeping these state parks beautiful. Nestled at the northern most point of Florida’s most populated county, these parks represent what Florida used to be, and we are here to keep it healthy, untouched, and here for all to enjoy. In 2014, the Shark Bite Challenge hosted 250 paddlers of all kinds that participated in races, clinics, trips, lessons, and special events. We look forward to adding more participants to the 2015 event!!
Get the most updated info about our event by visiting our Facebook Page.
Friday, February 27th and March 20th
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. Pre-registration nights at 7venth Sun Brewing
Friday, April 10th, 2015
- 5 p.m.-8:30 p.m. – Welcome/Captains Party Downtown Dunedin – Last night for Registration. Packet Pick Up. Back Patio at Blur Night Club.
Saturday, April 11th 2015
- 6 a.m. Fishing Tournament Check-in and Token Pick Up, Dunedin Causeway (registration at www.sharkbitechallenge.com)
- 8 a.m. Race Check-in Opens – No Race Day Registration
- 8:45 Race Strategy Session with Team Stellar Paddler Reid Hyle
- 10 a.m. Shark Bite Challenge Distance Races (1 mile, 4 mile, 8 mile & Waterman's Challenge)
- 1 p.m. Surf N Turf Kids Race
- 2-6 p.m. Awards Party & Ceremony at the Dunedin Brewery
Sunday, April 12th, 2014
- 8 a.m. Registration Opens for all events. Save money! Register online!
- 8:30 a.m. ACA Sea Kayak Forum Begins, click here for info
- 9 a.m. Epic Kayak’s Introduction and Basics of Surfski Paddling Clinic Begins
- 9 a.m. Outrigger Canoe (OC6) Races Start
- 10:30 a.m. Adapted Kayaking Clinic with Achilles International
- All Morning - YOLO Board and THINK Kayak Demo
PFD’s and Leashes are REQUIRED for all on-the-water events.
Here's a map of parking, registration, boat launch area, oc6 storage, etc. There will be signs directing you to the area inside the park on the day of the race. We realize that the beach has eroded since last year, so all races will be launching from a sandy spot and will have a water start and finish this year.
Race maps will be posted closer to race date. Note that race courses will change depending on winds and weather.
The Shark Bite Challenge is held at Honeymoon Island State Park, 1 Causeway Blvd, Dunedin, FL 34698